1.23.2012

Better Late Than Never...

Christmas 2011 - Such a bitter sweet time this year. I got a phone call on December 19 from my aunt Marsha letting me know that my wonderful Grandma Wright was not going to be on this earth much longer. She had gotten pneumonia and her heart function was a little less than 25% so there wasn't a chance for recovery. What a shock. I couldn't ever imagine her not being here. Chris and I went to the hospital that night and spent a couple hours with her. She was totally coherent and in fact was eating her dinner when we arrived. She embraced us in the famous Grandma Wright hug and didn't want to let go. All she wanted to talk about was my Dad (her favorite :) and Tiff and the upcoming baby that would be arriving. We left the hospital that night thinking she would still be around for quite some time. My parents were driving from Laguna for their planned trip up for Christmas. They had a stop in St. George first to spend a few days with Tiff and Martsi. On Thursday of that same week, I had a chance to go visit again. This time she was in a care center. I was so taken back when I walked into her room. She had drastically declined. If you went right up to her face and talked to her, she would open her eyes and mumble a little bit but would quickly slip back into unconciousness. As soon as she saw me, she started to cry and asked for my Dad. They were driving into Salt Lake that day. I promised her he would be there within a few hours. I was bawling at this point and quickly called my Mom and Dad to tell them to hurry. They pulled into the care center at 2:30 in the afternoon. I feel so privileged to have witnessed the reunion between Mother and Son! It was the most touching, spiritual meeting I have ever seen. The love they share is something quite unique and special. She perked up enough to hug him and she would not let go. As she was sobbing in his arms, my Dad asked her if she wanted a son's blessing. Without hesitation, she replied "I would love a blessing." This blessing was so sacred and moving. Again, I feel so blessed to have been there. I left shortly after that to be home when the girls got out of school. My parents stayed with my Grandma until 7 or so. My girls were so giddy with excitement that Grandma and Grandpa were finally here to celebrate Christmas. They stayed here again which we LOVE! The girls had expressed a desire to go see Grandma Wright so the next morning (Friday) we took them. It was another sweet reunion. She was able to wake up enough to hug each one of them. My Dad then spent another several hours with her while us girls went up to see Grandma Recksiek. The next day, Christmas Eve, my Dad left after breakfast to spend the afternoon with his Mom again. He got home around 3:00 and said it wouldn't be long now before she passed to the next life. He didn't have a desire to be there when she died. We got a call about an hour later from Jess who had been visiting her that it had happened, Grandma Wright was no longer here. I posted on Facebook - "On this Christmas Eve as we prepare to celebrate our Savior's birth, my beautiful Grandma Wright passed away from this life into His loving arms. We will miss you dearly Grandma!" What an amazing woman with the most christlike attitude and love. She lived an extraordinary life and I am so blessed to be part of her heritage and feel so blessed to have so many memories with her!



Christmas morning had us up around 7, not to bad girls :) Happiness and excitement filled our home as the girls unwrapped and admired their gifts from Santa. One last surprise in the garage from Chris...He installed school lockers in our garage for the girls school bags and coats. They think they are just about the coolest thing in the world. Santa kinda stole the moment of surprise though with new bikes in the garage as well :)








What a great day we had. A Christmas filled with family and love! My parents left the next day but came back a few days later for Grandma's funeral. A wonderful celebration for an amazing woman!

No comments: